An initiative of Riback Stevedores to help the Ahi people of Lae, Morobe Province, Papua New Guinea







Sunday, January 30, 2011

Digicel star ‘Greg’ rocks Ahi Festival

Greg Aaron belts out another number at the Ahi Festival in Lae yesterday
Papua New Guinea’s latest singing sensation Greg Aaron, widely tipped to be named winner of the 2010 Digicel stars competition on Sunday, brought the house down at the Ahi Festival at the Sir Ignatius Kilage Stadium in Lae yesterday (Wednesday, Dec 15, 2007).

Ahi favourite son ‘Greg’ – as he is known to thousands of Digicel Stars fans all over PNG – is from Yanga village in Lae and has developed a cult following since his cameo appearance in the competition this year.
Yesterday, the unassuming 26-year-old had the crowd – especially young people from the six Ahi villages of Yalu, Kamukumung, Hengali, Butibam, Wagang and his home Yanga – singing and dancing around the paddock as he took centre stage, backed by his Thronz band of Lae.
Greg’s performance was in line with one of the festival’s objectives to promote young Ahi  talent in music.
He told The National that he couldn’t wait for Digicel Stars judgement day on Sunday – which could be the biggest break in his music career.
“I’m proud to be an Ahi,” Greg declared.
“To be part of this Ahi Festival feels just right to me.
“I feel a sense of belonging to this group.”
Greg said that whether or not he took the ultimate accolade in Digicel Stars, with a chance to pocket K10, 000 and a major recording contract, “I’ll still be the same old Greg”.
“I don’t think I’ll ever change,” he said.
“I want to say ‘thank you’ to all the Ahi people from the six villages and all the organisers and people who are taking part in this event, and everyone else.
“I want to say ‘thank you’ to my uncle Bob Aaron and family, Cathy Aaron and family, my band management and members, the Daure family of Butibam and all the other five Ahi villages for supporting me in Digicel Stars."

No comments:

Post a Comment